Thursday, February 24, 2005

foetus soup

I can't believe people are eating foetuses in China, and apparently they have been doing it for almost 10 years.

I thought it was just another of those spam e-mail things, but the photos were proof that foetus soup is being prepared and drunk, and the Chinese news clipping lent the story even more credibility.

It's too horrific for words, though if I really bend my mind, I can see that it makes some sort of economic sense.

Baby Day's daddy disallowed me from putting up the photos, because he wants this website to stay innocent and wholesome. (that said, it's not bloody because the foetuses are boiled whole and are not cut up)

But as it's also about my journey as a mom, I will compromise by putting up the story instead, because while the news may have been gross before, it's heart-twisting now.

So here it is, translated (to the best of my ability). Read at your own risk.

FOETUS SOUP

Amongst Taiwanese businessmen in Guang Dong, the latest fad to strike is foetus soup.

For between 3 to 4,000 renminbi ($600 to $800 Singapore dollars), they can consume a 6-7 month old foetus. Taiwanese businessmen love it for they believe it makes them virile and enhances their sex drive.

Mr Wang, a fan of foetus soup, said: "A few months-old feotus, with tong guei, red dates and other herbs, plus pork ribs, after being boiled a few hours, is very good for 'qi' and the blood."

Patting his 19-year old mistress sitting next to him, he said with pride: "I'm already 62 but i can come once a night when I make love, all due to foetus soup!"

As the reporter remained dubious, Mr Wang brought the reporter to a restaurant. The cook said: " 'Pai gu' (ribs, their code for foetus) is not available, though we have fresh placenta. These things are better fresh. If you really want foetus, there is a couple, the woman is 8-months pregnant. Her first 2 are daughters. If you wait for a few more days, for labour to be induced, if its a girl you will have something to eat."

The reporter was still skeptical for he/she did not see the soup.

But a few days later, Mr Wang called: "The thing has come! The weather is cold, I have a few friends who also want to drink some tonic soup."

When the reporter went to the restaurant, he/she saw the foetus, a small baby no bigger than a kitten lying on the chopping board. The cook said apologetically: "Sorry, it's only 5 months plus, quite small".

He said the price was dependent on the age of the foetus, and whether it was dead or alive.

For Mr Wang, he only cares that it costs 3,500 RMB. He doesn't care about anything else.

As the reporter heard the men talking, they said that whether it's a miscarriage or an abortion, the mother will get a few hundred dollars ang bao. If it's almost a full-term baby, the mom gets 2,000 RMB ($400), as if it is an adoption.

By the time the foetus reaches the restaurant, it's dead. Whether it was dead or alive before is of no consequence.

The reporter said he/she did not dare to eat the foetus.

But said that: All the babies are girls. This, then, is a twisted result of China's one-child policy.

Some other links to foetus soup:
The doctors eat it too
Includes pretty graphic photos so watch it. Don't click on a weak stomach.

10 comments:

Jo said...

Ok, this is too sick. I don't think I can stomach the pictures (already imagining them in my head), so not going to click.

How can these people?!?!?!

me said...

Cool stuff!

Anonymous said...

This is a lie. Source dubious.

Bobo said...

Please don't believe everything you read on the net.

Anonymous said...

This is true if you do not want to believe it is your prerogative but the truth will set you free. Im not a Chinese but I've been around these people for 7 years and I hve reasons to believe they r capable of doing it especially for MONEY. Pls dont get mad at me Chinese. The truth as I said will set you free!

Anonymous said...

This is true if you do not want to believe it is your prerogative but the truth will set you free. Im not a Chinese but I've been around these people for 7 years and I hve reasons to believe they r capable of doing it especially for MONEY. Pls dont get mad at me Chinese. The truth as I said will set you free!

Anonymous said...

This is true if you do not want to believe it is your prerogative but the truth will set you free. Im not a Chinese but I've been around these people for 7 years and I hve reasons to believe they r capable of doing it especially for MONEY. Pls dont get mad at me Chinese. The truth as I said will set you free!

Anonymous said...

This is true if you do not want to believe it is your prerogative but the truth will set you free. Im not a Chinese but I've been around these people for 7 years and I hve reasons to believe they r capable of doing it especially for MONEY. Pls dont get mad at me Chinese. The truth as I said will set you free!

Anonymous said...

i believe it .ive seen photos of it.

Anonymous said...

This is horrible. It reminds me of the essay titled 'A Modest Proposal' by the English writer Jonathon Swift (1729). He suggested the used of 1 year old infants, and i don't think he mentioned fetuses.
His 'proposal' was met with valid disgust and disbelief for what he was suggesting.
I think this is absolutely disgusting and horrible, and a disgrace of mankind.