Saturday, August 15, 2015

car breakdown

The car dies in the middle of a carpark in a popular mall right about lunchtime.

Without rhyme or reason, it is particularly galling coming in the wake of expensive recent car servicing.

A car breakdown is one situation which simply makes me go into hyper panicky mode. I can’t handle it. I literally want to cry because I have no idea what to do. I think – and I hate to say it – but I honestly think I have no right to have a broken-down car, and I’m afraid everyone will get angry with me. Same reason why I never toot the horn, I feel its rude. (There, that’s softie me)

The kids are waiting for me some distance away with a trolley full of groceries from Giant.

I get out, I start flapping my arms. I go to each car and as they wind down the window, I tell them: My car’s broken down. The drivers are actually very sympathetic (I think I must look terrified) and they tell me in very re-assuring tones, cool down, don’t panic.

I run to the kids, push the trolley over, load the groceries into the car (I don’t even know why, I wasn’t thinking!)

At this point, a nice man comes along and asks me – What’s wrong? I tell him. He asks – Would you like me to push your car to the side? I stare at him like he’s mad. He can PUSH the car??

Yes he can! He puts the car in neutral, releases the handbrake, gets behind and with what looks to be a little nudge the car starts to roll. I steer the car to the side.

Suffice to say, he helps me to re-start the car, I try to drive it out of the carpark, it shudders crazily, I quickly back into a carpark lot, I can’t re-start it, KK (who’s at work) helps me to call a tow truck, the driver comes, he does something to the car, I manage to drive it to the workshop with him re-assuringly following behind me, and on the way it breaks down two more times.

KK says: What? You paid $40 for a tow truck driver to follow you while you were driving?

Yup. That’s what the tow truck driver told me to do. I didn’t even think to get him to tow our car.

Car breakdowns. They mess with my mind.

IMG_5445
* Kids and I waiting for a taxi at the very ulu car workshop

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally feel you! It happened to me as well. I had a whole load of grocery and with 3 kids (8, 6 and 2) with me. And the best thing is, my husband was overseas. And like you, I freaked out. In the end, managed to get a tow truck via AA ... Hope the car get fixed soon!

Anonymous said...

You are such a great story teller!! I dun drive, no license but I feel you too... Esp with 3 kids in tow.

Would you be sharing your trip to Melbourne?

Sher said...

everybody asked me if i had AA!!! we dont!!! the drivers who asked all looked v puzzled at that. like there's something wrong if i dont hv AA... car's fine. got fixed on the day itself.

melbourne: AHAHAHAH! i WANT to! but i'm still so busy finishing up the LAST thing on my plate. but the end is in sight... i can see the sun rising...

Dee.. said...

oh no! You sounded terrified! The last time our car broke down in a hotel, he came home late and left me to bring the car back! just like that, he handed it to me. I didn't know what to do and I called AA. Told them , yes, I will join AA as member. Please go take a look at my car. at least, your husband knew to call tow truck!

Sher said...

ya i was hoping he'd cab down to rescue me. no such thing haha.