Monday, October 12, 2015

evangelism

Evangelism was a big part of my growing up years, in that I was subject to it. I never minded. I fully appreciated that every single person who invited me to church wanted to save my soul from the burning fires of hell. If I didn’t feel any spiritual movement, I treated it as an excursion, to see new buildings in Singapore, perhaps listen to some great music and sometimes eat some food.

The hardest part would of course be when they ask at the end who wants to come forward and receive the Lord and you feel terribly guilty, like not buying a product from a friend who is genuinely trying to sell you something life-changing and you feel like you’ve let them down in some way.

Anyway. The kids have started getting invitations to church, of course.

Day, interestingly, is exactly like his father. He declares – I only believe in Science – and stoutly rejects all church invitations from his friends. His statement is what I am a little concerned with because he’s closed himself off to all spiritual exploration, and just like his burgeoning political beliefs, he goes too far without knowing enough.

I do think spirituality is core to what we are. It’s just that we have to find our own way there in our own time.

Lu just got invited to church by one of her sweetest classmates, a girl who really wants to be Lu’s Best Friend Forever (BFF). In conjunction with Children’s Day, the church was hosting a party-type event with magician and all, and BFF asked Lu on a daily basis if she could go.

I of course said yes. There has to be a first for everything. I brought Jo along, and I went too.

IMG_5705

While the girls had their fun in a large air-conditioned hall, a huge space the size of a school hall, I had to sit in with the adults in a huge auditorium listening to the, er, sermon (if that’s what it’s called) about how Work is a Gift. But after the introduction about how God was working when he created the world in seven days, I, no longer used to listening to long lectures, struggled to stay vertical.

The moment we finished, I collected the girls and the first thing both whispered to me was – Mama they want us to be Christian! (which, they are realising now isn't what they thought it was)

The second thing was – Mama the magician swallowed a balloon!

IMG_5707
* Dressed in their cardigan-ed Sunday best

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brings back memories. I feel empathy for the friends who tried so hard, yet I must also admit a tinge of irritation for the strangers who lurk around campus on a campaign - a deliberate campaign to target "the young undergraduates who are the (economic) future of the country" as I read on one of their noticeboards.

Pearlyn

Dee.. said...

Thanks for the perspective. I grew up a Christian but never knew how real God is until recently. I agree, no use selling something which people is not aware of. But i think the purpose is probably aimed at the church goers and not the new comer. I hope!