Tuesday, October 20, 2015

hazy bananas

IMG_5751

Two things about the photo.

One is the delightful banana tree which has sprouted in my folk’s backyard, courtesy of their green-fingered Gong Gong.

IMG_5752

Two is the masks which taint the lovely banana moment. We can’t get away from it. Discomfort be damned, these masks have become a way of life, for us and a huge swathe of the globe, as the haze lingers, coming and going without letup. Someone said that Indonesia’s Fire Crisis is the biggest environmental crime of the 21st century.

IMG_5755

As I cough and mucus runs from my nose – I can only hold out so long against prolonged haze exposure -this is the first time I actually worry about the kind of world these kids will inherit, where the greed of mankind and the wrath of nature combine and ignite in a pyre of destruction.

No comments: