Wednesday, October 14, 2015

sorry, mama

It’s another one of those days where I go on and on in delight about their younger days. (I’m sorry kids, I know Mama is a becoming a bit of a long-winded little old lady)

Talk of how Liyen is becoming somewhat stubborn and naughty brings me to … Jo.

I say, Liyen reminds me of you, Jo. You were quite a handful when you were two!

How so, she asked.

So I told her about her Terrible Twos. In particular, how she used to fling her arm over my throat and make me want to vomit. I laughed my head off because it’s really funny on hindsight.

Jo didn't laugh though. Right now, she thinks vomiting is the worst thing on earth, she refuses to have babies because she doesn’t want to vomit, and the slightest purging sound from any of us drives her miles away.

She said: If it were my kid I'd just let her cry. I wouldn't let her make me want to vomit.

I said: Well I did let you, just to keep you happy.

She falls silent. Then she turns to look up at me and says, very quietly, I’m sorry mama. I’m sorry I made you want to vomit. I’m sorry I gave you a hard time.

Wow. They really do grow up.

IMG_5468

4 comments:

xueying said...

Aww, what a sweetheart.

Dee.. said...

reading this right after my 3 years old drove me up the wall. He was forcing vomiting after I force him to finish his lunch. all the cajoling didn't work until the saber(aka Cane) came out! i hate it when it is THEY who make me the terrible mother.

Jo said...

OMG! I am amazed. She is so mature for her age. I don't think most of us (ahem, speaking for me and friends, not whole world) did not comprehend the concept of apologizing to parents due to consideration of someone's else's feelings and situation.

Sher said...

dee: it'll pass... and when u look back hopefully you'll think its funny. on hindsight its all quite inconsequential. eventually one day he'll eat and he'll ask you for more food and then you'll be thinking how come its so expensive to feed them.

jo: actually ur right, dont think i ever apologised for anything. then again, while jo is v mature in some ways, she's v immature in others. hv said this abt her before: when she's good, she's very very good. when she's bad, she's (still) v v bad.