Sunday, January 10, 2016

star wars

I never liked Star Wars.

Not Episodes 4, 5, 6, the ones which screened when I was a young girl, which I felt absolutely nothing for and which I was confused by. Episode 1 which came later I liked, because there was a cute young boy in it with powers (I’m a sucker for Disney-ish plotlines) but the series lost me at dreary draggy Episode 2.

Episode 7. Now.

How to avoid it?

At its peak in December, the marketing for the film just hit you over the head, 24 hours a day. On our fast food, in the neighbouring mall, at the airport.  I was thoroughly annoyed. Watching the film became an event for people around me, friends were going with their kids. It apparently attained the highest-grossing worldwide opening of all time.

IMG_6789
* Star Wars bag tag won at a games station at Changi Airport

Because my brother Teng said he wanted to go, we did. KK and I and the kids and Teng.

Because we weren’t fans to start off with, we weren’t impressed or moved.

But because we saw 7, it made sense to watch the rest to answer those little historical niggling questions which arise.

So we’re right in the middle of it. Saturday movie nights, we watch Star Wars. (Order: 4, 5, 6, then 1, 2, 3)

IMG_6788

I can’t explain why but the best thing for me is still John William’s music. I feel nothing for the rest of it.

The kids, however, are a tad more enthusiastic. The incredible marketing effort for 7 has lured them into the Star Wars universe.

Star Wars has also been all the talk in school. Apparently all their friends go around saying – Luke. I Am Your Father. When we reached that line (unfortunately they knew everything before watching the movies) the trio laughed uproariously because they had finally heard it. 

Watching the movies, they've also gotten a good look at how people age. They are most fascinated with Harrison Ford because they also know him as Indiana Jones.

No comments: