Monday, February 29, 2016

future of us

IMG_7091

Day and all the rest of the Primary 6 kids went to the Future of Us exhibition at Gardens by the Bay, which ends soon. So did I.

IMG_7087
* The class girls having their snacks

IMG_7084
* Class boys, in another corner

Even though some of the screened shows are a bit OTT in the feel-good way, I enjoyed some of the ideas in the exhibition on future homes. Floor boards which transform the kinetic energy from footsteps to power the home, sky gardens which offer fresh produce to all of a building’s occupants, intelligent clothes which can diagnose medical issues like heart attacks or fractures.

IMG_7096
* Shows screened on a Dome, IMAX style

IMG_7101
* Future homes

But this is what I hear the kids say:

Goodness, learning journeys are getting more and more boring. This is so boring.

I don’t think any of these ideas can work (this courtesy of Day).

On the way back on the bus, Day’s teacher grabs the mike (the sort which tour operators use) and rips into the kids.

“I saw you all taking selfies with the iPad. Selfies! The iPad belongs to the school and is meant for you to take photos of the exhibition! Instead I saw you all taking photos of yourself! What is this?

I also said, you are not allowed to take out your mobile devices but I saw many of you taking out your phones! I have confiscated three phones and I am NOT going to return the phones until our supplementary class is over!

I also saw some of you writing inappropriate things when you were supposed to write down your future wishes for Singapore!

Please remember you are in school uniform, you represent the school! I had to shout at you all so many times to behave!

I am very concerned, I can tell you all. This exhibition is called the Future of Us. My future is in your hands! If this is what you are, I am afraid for my future!"

Honestly, learning journeys for little kids take a lot more work and are a lot more tiring, but I think they’re more satisfying. The bigger they grow the more cynical and unenthused they become.

IMG_7113
* Probably one of the funnest parts of the exhibition, the 3D photo sticker on the ground, which looks nothing like this in real life, and which apparently cost the organisers a lot of money to put up (Evan and Day)

IMG_7116

1 comment:

stevenjared0853 said...

Thank you so much for sharing it here. I must say such events are really important for kids to grow socially. Just last week, I took my kids to an educational event at one of local event venues and it was a great experience.