Saturday, November 26, 2016

cake competition

They each make cakes. Not real cakes, but cakes made out of their special blue sand. Everyone puts a lot of effort into their cakes and Jo orders me to judge them. “You must give 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize, Mama,” she said.

Hmmmm.

I say, Mama is not going to give 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize (Jo: WHAAATT??!) but I’m going to give individual awards.

The most Perfect Cake, which is technically the best and made with the most precise measurements, goes to THIS ONE! (Jo preens)

IMG_9738

The most Exquisite Cake, because it’s quaint and tiny and is littered with delicious-looking bits of garnish, is THIS ONE! (Day proceeds to cut up and squash his cake)

IMG_9739

(At this point, Lulu starts to wail. Why am I always the LAST ONE? The last one means I’m the lousiest, right?)

Of course not, Lulu, I say. This is not 1st, 2nd, 3rd, I’m giving out individual awards which means everyone’s cake is fabulous in different ways.

The most Creative Cake, because its a round dome and goes against the usual concept of a four-sided cake, and because it’s unusually segmented rather than tiered, goes to THIS ONE!

IMG_9740

(Lu is still very miserable)

Still. Sometimes, the ability to make words work in my favour is useful for getting out of sticky situations.

No comments: