Wednesday, February 08, 2017

healthy cooking oil

My cooking oil just finished, time to get a new one.

At the supermarket, I send Choon a text – what oil should I get?

I use olive oil for the Western stuff which doesn’t require high heat, but for the Chinese stuff, I’ve been meaning to get a healthy cooking oil for ages, but there’s so much literature and misconception I get confused.

Last time, I just picked up the Knife brand one because it was right in front of my face. I used to just pick whatever I felt like, including vegetable oils which I thought were healthy. Veggies, right?

This time, the dietitian happily responds in super-quick time:

Sunflower, peanut, rice bran oil is good. Read the label. Make sure there isn’t refined palm oil. Don’t buy vegetable oil. Or NTUC premium oil.

IMG_1409
* Sounds good but the RBD Palm Olein is a red flag

IMG_1407
* Avoid because of the Refined Palm Olein

I pick up the rice bran. I take a picture of the ingredients, which say: 100% rice bran oil.

IMG_1412

IMG_1414

Choon: Yup OK. Rice bran has natural cholesterol lowering effects.

OK. You know this means?

I’ll probably end up buying rice bran oil for the rest of my life. I don’t need to know why it works or why it’s good. I just want someone I trust with no hidden agenda to tell me its good and I’m a lifelong fan.

(I try it out: It looks light in colour and feels clean. Does it add any flavor to the food? Probably not. But taste is not my criteria for cooking oil.)

3 comments:

KS said...

You can also try coconut oil. There is one/two brands sold in NTUC - Benefit Coco and Medalla. It's apparently the one of the best oils for cooking - high smoke point, high in unsaturated fats etc. I'm curious how your brother rates it against the other more common oils like sunflower, grapeseed, rice bran, peanut etc. My mum's instructions to me when it comes to buying oil is to buy the lightest colored one (not sure the logic behind it).

https://authoritynutrition.com/why-is-coconut-oil-good-for-you/

Anonymous said...

"...the best oils for cooking - high smoke point, high in unsaturated fats.."

If you trust Dr Google and did a search on the smoke point of oils you will get:
Rice bran: 254C
Peanut oil: 232C
Coconut oil: 177C
So in actual fact, CC oil as the lowest smoking point.

Your link also clearly states coconut milk is 90% saturated fat and not unsaturated.

The benefits of olive oil came mostly of out of the Mediterranean diet studies which associated lower rates of heart disease with use of olive oil. Extra Virgin cold pressed oil is thick, luscious, strong in flavour and with a golden, green hue to it.

Light often denotes less flavour, lighted in color and flavour. So the question is, why would I buy a (light) oil that is refined and devoid of all its wholesome goodness.
Which brings me back to your point of coconut oil. If you truly believe in the goodness of coconut oil (which I dun), then why would you buy something that is refined and devoid of its true goodness?
http://benefitcoco.com/

And if your objective in selecting an oil with a high smoke point to do some high heat frying and charring then you should also know that high heat cooking regardless of oil use results in the formation of heterocyclic amines and acylamide, both of which are associated with being carcinogenic...

Jun

Dawn Ling said...

Aiyo. I was glad u posted it cos I too get confused. Often, I just buy the one that is on offer and seems value for money and doesn't have a brand that sounds too dodgy. Ur post seem clear and I was really happy to also follow what u bought,until I read Jun post and got confused once again. Haha