Monday, June 12, 2017

lu’s classroom convo

Sitting next to a rather precocious boy in class with whom she plays “pen fights”, Lu and the boy carry out a written conversation when, oh I don’t know, the teacher is talking?

(I just happened to come across the little booklet which Lu had stapled together, for her and her partner's conversations)

IMG_3142

Reading it aloud and “hearing” the conversation in my head, I laugh. Would she have these “conversations” if she were in an all-girls’ school? Or maybe even more? Lu's lines in bold.

Boy: What should we write?
L: I don’t know.
B: Tell me. Our teacher ask us to write 500 words. And we must not lose it.
L: OK. Can we write about our holidays?
B: June holidays?
L: Last year holidays.
B: December holidays?
L: Yeah.
B: Last year, I went to Hong Kong.
L: Last year, I went to Japan. It was very very cold.
B: Which part of Japan?
L: Tokyo. And then I took a train to a ski resort. It had very snowy mountains.
B: Wow! That’s nice.
L: Yeah. But I went for skiing and it was terrible. So I went to build a snowman. What about you?
B: I just went to Disneyland which was part of Hong Kong. I went there just to play and enjoy.
L: I also went to Disneyland! It was OK… I went for this Star Wars ride. It was quite scary. It was in Japan.
B: You mean Japan has Star Wars ride? Is that true?
L: Yeah. It wasn’t very nice.
B: But it was not scary for me.
L: I don’t like it.
B: We are like writing a compo.
L: Yeah. Kind of.
B: What should we talk now?
L: Don’t know. How about…
B: Tell me!
L: Don’t know…
B: Quickly! Tell me, I beg you!!
L: I DON’T KNOW!!!!!
B: I BEG YOU!!!!!
L: I DON’T KNOW!!!!
B: Why don’t we talk about at home!!!!!
L: K.
B: So, what do you do at home?
L: Draw?!
B: Only?!
L: Yeah.
B: Meaning, you don’t eat, do homework, sleep, play?!!
L: NO!! Can we talk about something else?
B: OK!! What?!
L: Personality, hobby??!!
B: What should we talk about HOBBY!!
L: My hobby is drawing and reading.
B: My hobby is playing board games and reading!
L: Really? What board games do you play?
B: Chess, Mastermind and Monopoly!
L: I also have Mastermind.
B: How many times you can guess the colour?
L: I don’t play it very often, so I guess maybe 5 times?
B: 5?? I can guess in 3 or 4!
L: Oh… maybe not 5.
B: What number?
L: Yeah, maybe 3 or 4
B: That is good!
L: Really? I thought you would be better.
B: How about chess or Monopoly?? I sometimes can guess 1 or 2!
L: Monopoly I have, chess I don’t. Monopoly is OK.
B: Did you win before?!
L: No. But I had a hotel.
B: Which hotel?
L: …
B: Tell me
L: I’m not sure! Please talk about something else

(stops)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if they are paying attention in class? Haha- min